Have you noticed that more and more people are talking about Periscope or Facebook Live? In general it’s all about a new trend called live video streaming. What does it mean?
- Live video streaming allows users to broadcast live video using mobile devices with internet connection.
What do you need to start live video streaming?
- smartphone (iPhone or Android)
- mobile application that support live video streaming: Facebook, Periscope, Blab, Wirecast, etc.
- internet connection: access to Wi-Fi or internet connection from your mobile provider (Att&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.)
- battery charger – live video streaming will drain your smartphone battery
Which application to choose?
Facebook (live video streaming feature)
If you already have a Facebook account and you are new to live video streaming, this might be the best option for you.
- Open Facebook mobile application on your smartphone
- create a new post (Status Update)
- select the live video streaming feature (image below)
- add short description on what are you going to live video streaming about
- you can make the broadcast public or limit who can watch it
- click “Go Live” – and now your Facebook friends will see your live video streaming in their News Feed and under notifications
- your Facebook friends can comment on your live stream
If you have a Twitter account, Periscope might be a good option for you.
- download Periscope application
- login using your Twitter account
- you can discover what other people around the world live video streaming
- you can start your own broadcast
- create a short description of what you are going to live video stream
- you can make the broadcast private or public
- you can tweet information about your broadcast so your Twitter followers can see the tweet on Twitter
- you can add the location from which you are broadcasting
- and start your broadcast
- other people can watch your live stream and comment
- you can choose if you want to leave a recording (replay) of your live stream for other viewers to watch
This one is something different but you might want to try it. This application allows you to start live video up to 4 people.
- you can watch what other people are live streaming
- you can start live video streaming or schedule one for later
- people can comment on your live stream
- you can also record it
- you can share information about your blab live stream on Twitter
There are other live video streaming applications available and the best way to find the right for you is to test few of them and select the best for you.